The Pennant 20 March 2016 Revised.rtf
20 March 2016
Newsletter of the IYC Cayuga Lake Cruising Fleet
Minutes of the Spring Meeting on March 20, 2016
In attendance: Fleet Captain Charles Witherup, Assistant Fleet Captain Rick Bray, Secretary Eberhard Alsen, Ratings Chairman David Feavearyear, plus members Mike Newman, Bill Russell, Richard Stephens, and Mik Tulumello.
During this meeting we spent a lot of time discussing Dave Feavearyear’s plea to establish a “white fleet,” a non-spinnaker fleet to attract new skippers. We agreed to talk to cruising skippers about the latitude and long distance races which are “open” to sailboat skippers at no fees and we agreed to add two special for white fleet skippers. See item #3 below.
1. Registration Fees. Skipper registration fees will again be $ 200 for IYC members and $ 250 for non-members of the IYC with $ 100 for skippers racing only in the Spring or Fall series. Crew registration fees will continue to be at $ 20 for non-IYC members and $ 10 for IYC members.
2. Financial Projection. In the absence of the treasurer, the Fleet Captain reported that the projected year’s end balance in the fleet’s account is approximately $ 500 less than last year because we purchased a new racing mark and lights.
3. Racing Schedule. It was agreed to drop the 11th races of the Spring and Fall Series in favor of two open “white fleet” events. One will be on June 11, to be advertised as the “Sailstice and Barbecue,” the other will be on October 23, to be advertised as the “Frostbite and Barbecue.”
4. Racing Instructions. We agreed to the Fleet Captain’s long-standing suggestion for new capital letters to designate our racing marks according to the first letter of their names. See attached map of race marks
5. Race Communication from the Race Committee. We agreed that for the use of the Fleet Captain or Assistant Fleet Captain we should purchase a high quality hand-held VHF.
Respectfully submitted by